Wednesday, September 18, 2013

How to stencil a toy box...

After painting Jillian's toy box with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I've been wanting to put something on it.  I bought some stencils, but nothing really seemed right for this piece.  I decided I wanted to put her name on it. No stenciled letters were really big enough and I hated all the fonts.  I typed her name in Word and proceeded to look at ALL the fonts  I hated them all.  Then I found this fun little website with TONS of fonts to choose from!  I decided on VTKS Dear Love from fontspace.com...

http://www.fontspace.com/vtks-design/vtks-dear-love

Once I typed her name, I realized it was NOT big enough.  So I put it in Microsoft Paint and blew it up.  It took two sheets of paper to print it, so  I taped them together.  Once I cut around the letters a little , I used a charcoal pencil and colored the entire back of the paper.  Then I used painters tape to put it on the toy box.


Once it was in place, I took a regular pencil and traced over the letters.  The charcoal on the back made the perfect outline for me to paint...


Next I just used regular acrylic paints and painted over the charcoal...


Then I took a damp paper towel and rubbed off all of the charcoal...


I liked it better with the charcoal outline, so I decided to go around it with a green paint pen and it was finished!


I'm still trying to decide what else to put on it.  Any suggestions, please feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment