Thursday, September 12, 2013

Framed fabric

We moved into our house in 2005.  Since then I've put things on the walls all over the house.  Well, except for my bathroom.  We have this great tub with columns around it and a beautiful chandelier hanging above it.  Then there is the big BLANK wall behind it.  Over the years I've looked at that wall a million times getting out of the shower and wondered what to put there.  Someone suggested a mirror.  UM, I dont know about you, but I dont like to stare at myself naked when I'm stepping out of the shower or climbing in/out of the tub.  Ewe.  No picture from Hobby Lobby, the starving artist shows, etc ever really fit in that space.  When we were cleaning out the garage, I found this HUGE ugly frame someone had given me to re purpose a long time ago.  (I had two of these frames and painted the other one a metallic silver and hung 52 pictures of my daughter on it for her first birthday.)  Since hanging pictures with no glass in a humid room is probably frowned upon, I looked for other options.  Fabric seemed to be a great idea.  Did you know that Hancock Fabrics has a whole other side of their store...with furniture fabric?  How did I miss that???  I found the perfect fabric and headed home.  Well my huge frame was 40 x 46 and the fabric was too narrow.  BUMMER!  I decided to buy some black duck fabric and make a matte around it.  My sewing skills are NOT great, but it's a strait line people...you can do it!
I pinned it first, then sewed all the way around.  I had to cut fabric off after that so it would be even.  Dont worry about it being perfect, you will just staple the fabric directly onto the frame so no one will see the messy edges.


I duck taped the fabric to my UGLY frame to see if it was even before I painted and stapled it.


I decided on Krylon's smokey gray gloss paint. 


LOVE!  Spray paint can make any frame beautiful again!  I did another coat that night.  Once it was dry, I took it inside to staple it.

Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of the actual stapling part because I had a 2 year old helping me.  But this is what it looked like when it was finished...and yes, it's not perfectly even...read the sentence before! LOL!


And after my sweet husband helped me lift this massive thing on the wall...




I'm sad the frame almost looks blue with the lighting, but finally having something on that wall is great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment